At CES 2024, the most prestigious technology event in the world, NVIDIA announced their new GeForce RTX 4080 Super graphics processing unit (GPU). This announcement has set the technology and gaming worlds alight, promising huge improvements in performance and graphics. But what is the GeForce RTX 4080 Super, and how will it benefit its users?
The following article takes a deep dive into the new GeForce RTX 4080 Super, as well as the other new GPUs in the all-new Super series. It will outline the features and benefits and look at how it compares to previous iterations.
Landing this month, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Super is set to make waves. Read on to learn more about this remarkable piece of technology.
Who is NVIDIA?
NVIDIA Corporation is the company that manufactures the new GeForce RTX 4080 Super GPU. It is a multinational technology company based in the United States, most widely known for designing and manufacturing graphics processing units.
NVIDIA holds roughly 80% of the global market share in graphics processing unit semiconductor chips. It is also known for developing artificial intelligence hardware and software, mobile technologies, and desktop computers.
At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2024, NVIDIA announced its new RTX 40 Super Series graphics cards.
What is GeForce RTX?
NVIDIA RTX is a computing platform used primarily in mainstream PCs for gaming. It consists of a series of graphics processing units that have revolutionized the way we play games. The secret behind this is the use of advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence and ray tracing.
Ray tracing is a technique for generating computer graphics, used in movie CGI as well as video games. It generates computer images by tracing rays cast through pixels of an image plane, thereby realistically simulating the effects of its encounters with virtual objects. This allows game designers to create lifelike optical properties such as shadows and reflections. The accuracy and complexity of these graphics create a much more immersive and effective gameplay experience for its users.
The GeForce RTX has gone through many versions. It started with the GeForce 256 in 1999. Since then, there have been more models. The latest one is the GeForce RTX 4080 Super series.
What is the New GeForce RTX 4080 Super?
The three new graphics cards being launched by NVIDIA in January 2024 are:
- GeForce RTX 4070 Super
- GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Super
- GeForce RTX 4080 Super
But what are the differences, and how do they compare? The table below highlights some of the different features and capabilities of the three GPUs.
|GeForce RTX 4070 Super
|GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Super
|GeForce RTX 4080 Super
|Base clock speed
|Boosted clock speed
The GeForce RTX 4080 Super will be released on January 31st and boasts incredible performance for both gaming and streaming.
Compared to previous iterations, the new GPU has a huge increase in CUDA cores and a massive increase in clock speeds up to an incredibly fast 2.55 gigahertz.
According to NVIDIA, the GeForce RTX 4080 Super delivers “blistering performance with traditional rasterization.”
What are the Key Benefits of New Release?
So what can users expect from the new GeForce RTX 4080 Super? Here are some of the amazing benefits that make this recent launch announcement such exciting news.
- Exceptional Performance: GeForce RTX 4080 Super GPUs feature specialized AI Tensor Cores to deliver groundbreaking performance and revolutionary capabilities. This enables extremely fast gaming and ultra-efficient productivity.
- Enhanced Graphics: The new GPU brings the most complex and demanding games to life with unforgettable graphics, unbeatable ray tracing, and artificial intelligence. Immerse yourself in new worlds and marvel at the outstanding gameplay.
- Game-Ready Drivers: Finely tuned drivers designed and produced for maximum performance and game reliability.
- GeForce Experience: The GeForce Experience application allows you to enhance your gameplay experience. You can perform functions such as taking screenshots, capturing videos, and streaming with friends.
- NVIDIA Ansel: This in-game photo mode enables you to enhance your screenshots and turn them into beautiful works of art.
- NVIDIA G-SYNC: This powerful new display technology enables gamers to enjoy the fastest and smoothest gameplay possible.
- Virtual Reality: GeForce RTX 4080 Super’s revolutionary performance and graphics enable users to have immersive and seamless virtual reality experiences.
- Resizable BAR: An advanced downloadable GPU firmware update tool that greatly improves performance in the majority of games.
How Does the GeForce RTX 4080 Super Compare to Previous Releases?
In order to understand the improvements NVIDIA has made in its new GPU series, it’s necessary to compare the new Super series with its previous iterations.
The following compares the all-new GeForce RTX 4080 Super with the earlier GeForce RTX 4080 model. Although both GPUs boast incredible benefits, it’s clear the new launch emerges the victor.
|RTX 4080 Super
|Memory Bus Width
|Up to 2790 MHz
|Up to 2550 MHz
|1080p Gaming Performance
|Unsurpassed maximum frame rates in all games at maximum settings
|Excellent ultra-high frame rates at max settings in all games
|1440p Gaming Performance
|Ultra-high performance and smooth visuals, even in the most complex games
|Fantastic high frame rates in all games
|4K Gaming Performance
|Excellent, high frame rates at maximum settings in most games
|Strong, high frame rates at high settings in complex games
|Ray Tracing Performance
|Significant improvement over previous cards
|Some improvement over previous cards
|Power Consumption & Thermals
|Very high, requiring a powerful power supply unit and robust cooling
|High, demands a good PSU and adequate cooling
What Games will Benefit from the GeForce RTX 4080 Super?
Hardcore gamers will no doubt want to know how the new GeForce RTX 4080 Super will benefit their playing experience. And the good news is there will be undeniably huge improvements to performance, speed, graphics, and more.
The image below outlines the massive improvement in gaming performance compared to some of the earlier graphics processing units – the RTX 3080 Ti and the RTX 2080 Super.
So many games will benefit from the new GPU, but here are just a few releases that stand to be transformed by the new features and performance functionality.
- Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
- Warhammer 40,000: Darktide
- A Plague Tale: Requiem
- Alan Wake 2
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
How Much Will the GeForce RTX 4080 Super Cost?
It’s understandable that price is a big concern for the majority of consumers. You no doubt want to enjoy the benefits of a superior graphics processing unit while simultaneously ensuring you are getting the best value for money.
The GeForce RTX 4080 Super will initially retail at a competitive price of around $999. The GeForce RTX 4080 costs about $900. Compared to this, the newer version costs a bit more but offers big improvements in performance.
Where Can You Buy the GeForce RTX 4080 Super?
The GeForce RTX 4080 Super, as well as the other GPUs in the new launch, will be available to purchase directly from the NVIDIA website and other selected retailers.
Custom boards for all GeForce RTX 40 SUPER Series graphics processing units will also be available from top add-in card providers such as ASUS, Colorful, Gainward, GALAX, GIGABYTE, INNO3D, KFA2, MSI, Palit, PNY and ZOTAC.
When GeForce RTX 4080 Super Will Be Released?
The GeForce RTX 4080 Super will be available to buy starting from January 31st, 2024.
- The new GeForce RTX 4080 Super GPU will offer huge improvements to previous GPU iterations in terms of performance, speed, features, and ray tracing technology.
- It has a range of new features and functions that offer an array of immersive benefits to gamers and streamers alike.
- The new GPU will be available to buy from January 31st, 2024, at a retail price of $999.
- It is available to buy directly from the NVIDIA website as well as other selected retailers.
Are you excited about NVIDIA’s new launch announcement? Will the arrival of the GeForce RTX 4080 Super change the way you play games in 2024? Are you going to be buying the new graphics processing unit or sticking with your current one? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!