A new year brings with it plenty of new games, and there are many of them to get gamers excited about this year. Fans of PS5 will be happy to see that they have released the list of their upcoming games for 2024. There’s something for all types of gamers, from the latest in successful franchises to new and intriguing titles.
These hotly anticipated titles might not all be coming out at once, but some will be worth the wait. No matter if you love fantasy, horror, first-person shooters, or any other genre, you’re sure to discover a new PS5 game that captures your interest this year.
Let’s take a look at the top PlayStation 5 games lined up for release in 2024.
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Final Fantasy has long been a popular game franchise, starting way back in the 1980s. In the nearly 40 years since it first began, there have been multiple games for different platforms.
The latest release is the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, the second in a planned trilogy that remakes the original 1997 Final Fantasy VII game. This sequel to Final Fantasy VII Remake brings together real-time action and roleplaying. It’s set after the previous game, putting players in control of mercenary Cloud Strife and other characters. But you don’t need to have played the previous game or even be familiar with the original.
Final Fantasy is one of the longest-running roleplaying fantasy franchises in existence. It’s also one of the most popular and is loved around the world. Now being redeveloped for a new generation (of players and technology), this new game is the perfect introduction.
Did you know? Final Fantasy games feature several recurring characters, including Cid, who is in every game but the first. But they don’t always appear in the same form.
- Enhanced graphics and sound.
- Mix of real-time action and RPG gameplay.
- Continues the Final Fantasy VII storyline.
- Accessible for new and returning players.
- Possible unwelcome changes to classic elements.
- Potentially high cost.
- Requires latest gaming consoles.
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
Prince of Persia is another successful video game franchise that’s getting a new installment this year. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is the first release in the series for over a decade, and it’s sure to be highly anticipated by fans. They made the last game, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, for PS3. Also available for PS4, this latest action-adventure game takes you into a fantastical world inspired by Persia. The gamer plays as Sargon, wielding swords and employing acrobatic prowess and Time Powers to defeat enemies and mythical beasts.
As well as competing in battle, players will solve puzzles to progress through the game. They will find shortcuts and secret rooms, looking for Time crystals, which can be used to upgrade weapons. The main aim is to travel to the cursed city of Mount Qaf to rescue the kidnapped Prince Ghassan.
Did you know? A Prince of Persia game was being developed in the early 2010s but was scrapped. Footage from the game appeared online in 2020.
- Revives a popular franchise.
- Dynamic gameplay with swordplay and time powers.
- Includes puzzles and exploration.
- Weapon upgrade system.
- Faces high fan expectations.
- Risk of unfavorable comparisons to past titles.
- May not fully exploit newer console capabilities.
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
Along with a plethora of movies based on comic books come a great many games to expand the universe. Suicide Squad is no exception, with a new game based on the DC Comics series coming this year.
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is the first game based on the supervillains, described as a “genre-defying, action-adventure third-person shooter”. It comes from Rocksteady Studios, the creators of the popular Batman: Arkham series, and delivers an original story set in an open world. The Squad is up against an alien invasion and the DC Superheroes who are destroying the city.
Players can take control of each of the characters, who all have their own unique skill set, movement, and weapons. The game offers both single-player and multiplayer options for hours of fun alone or with friends.
Did you know? Rocksteady Studios announced Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League in 2020, but they had plans for a Suicide Squad game as early as 2010. They canceled the original title by 2016, but fortunately, they still kept the idea of a Suicide Squad game alive.
- Unique premise focusing on supervillains.
- Features an open-world, action-adventure gameplay.
- Offers both single-player and multiplayer modes.
- Balancing diverse character abilities can be challenging for game design.
- Risk of not meeting fans’ expectations for a Suicide Squad game.
For those who love story-driven games, the action-adventure Stellar Blade is one of the most exciting PS5 releases coming up this year. Saving humanity from extinction might be a tale as old as time, but this new game delivers a fresh take on the concept.
With humans driven from Earth by strange and powerful creatures, they are now forced to live in a space colony. Returning to Earth, Paratrooper Eve is on a mission to reclaim the planet from the NA:tive. As she takes them on, mysteries are revealed but it soon becomes clear that nothing is as it seems.
Players experience a stunning visual spectacle as they participate in high-speed battles and face off against powerful bosses in this action-packed game. The single-player story not only delivers plenty of action but also presents players with a story about what it means to be human.
Did you know? Stellar Blade uses 3D scanning for character models. The character of Eve is based on the Korean model Shin Jae-Un.
- Story-driven, appealing to fans of narrative-rich games.
- Offers a unique take on a post-apocalyptic theme.
- Engaging combat and boss fights in a visually stunning setting.
- Deep storytelling exploring human themes.
- Risk of cliché elements in the post-apocalyptic genre.
- The single-player focus could limit replayability.
- High expectations for visual and narrative quality due to advanced 3D scanning technology.
The Last of Us Part II Remastered
The sequel to the 2013 game (now also a successful TV show) has undergone a makeover for release this year. It was originally released for the PS4 just three-and-a-half years ago.
Whether you’re new to the game or have played it before, the remastered release for PS5 delivers an updated experience. Players benefit from graphical enhancements and new gameplay modes, with full DualSense wireless control integration.
The Last of Us Part II is set five years after the original game. It follows Ellie and Abby, whose lives intertwine in this post-apocalyptic setting. Although Ellie has initially settled down in Jackson, Wyoming, with Joel (whom she traveled within the first game), she sets out on a journey to avenge a death.
The remastered game features a new gameplay mode, challenging players to survive for as long as possible on each run as they come up against enemies and final boss battles. The option to play as a host of characters is available too, including some that weren’t playable before.
Did you know? The Last of Us Part II is expected to be adapted into multiple TV seasons, following on from the successful first part starring Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey.
- Enhanced graphics and gameplay modes for PS5.
- Full integration with DualSense wireless controls.
- Offers a new gameplay mode for added challenge.
- Expanded character play options, including previously unplayable ones.
- As a remaster, it may not offer significant changes for those who played the original.
- The focus on graphic enhancement may not appeal to all players.
- Potential risk of not living up to the high standards set by the original game.
- The new gameplay mode might not be enough to attract players who completed the original game.
Following up on the first Helldivers game, Helldivers II is another excellent upcoming title for anyone who enjoys combatting an alien threat. In this multiplayer co-op shooter game, you and your friends become Helldivers, soldiers responsible for spreading peace – all while using powerful weapons.
Collaboration is the name of the game with Helldivers II. Working together and applying the right strategies is key to getting the upper hand and succeeding in your mission. You’ll have to communicate well, especially if you want to avoid the risk of friendly fire.
The first Helldivers game was released in 2015, so it’s been nearly a full decade since the initial PS3 and PS4 installments. The new game, due for release in February, will be available for PS5 and PC, developed by Arrowhead Studios.
Did you know? While the first Helldivers game was a top-down squad-based shooter, the second game is a third-person experience, giving players a closer look at all the action.
- Emphasizes cooperative multiplayer gameplay.
- Focuses on strategy and teamwork to achieve objectives.
- Enhanced communication features to coordinate with team members.
- Available on both PS5 and PC, expanding its player base.
- The risk of friendly fire adds complexity to the gameplay.
- May primarily appeal to fans of multiplayer and cooperative games.
Dragon’s Dogma 2
This sequel to the 2012 Dragon’s Dogma might have been 12 years in the making, but it’s looking like it will be worth the wait. Dragon’s Dogma 2 is set for release in March and promises a roleplaying game full of action that puts the player in the driver’s seat as the hero Arisen. Arisen must defeat a dragon, fight monsters, and carry out quests while exploring the world. Split between two major kingdoms, the world is home to humans, beastrens, and elves.
As the Arisen pursues success, non-playable characters known as Pawns lend their aid. These AI-controlled characters are designed to act like player-controlled avatars and can assist in battles, offer information and help with quests. Arisen and the Pawns all operate under a vocation, which defines the abilities and equipment they can use in combat. They offer basic, advanced, and hybrid levels.
Did you know? The seamless open world of Dragon’s Dogma 2 is four times the size of the map in the first game. It’s a parallel world to the original.
- Features a vast, seamless open world that’s four times larger than the first game.
- AI-controlled Pawns assist the player, adding depth to the gameplay.
- Multiple vocations provide varied combat strategies and customization.
- AI-controlled Pawns’ effectiveness can vary, impacting the gameplay experience.
- Balancing the game’s difficulty with such a large world could be challenging.
Concord was announced in May 2023 as a new PvP multiplayer first-person shooter game. Unlike many other games in this list, Concord isn’t part of an existing franchise, a sequel, or a remaster of an existing game.
Developed by Firewalk Studios, there are currently few details about what exactly Concord entails. What has been said is that “The Firewalk team is driven by the type of exciting, unexpected moments and shared experiences that multiplayer games create”. The teaser trailer suggests a space setting, with a spaceship hurtling through the abyss. The Instagram page for the studio also says that it will be set in a “sci-fi universe”.
News of what more the game entails hasn’t been forthcoming, but it is still set to be released sometime this year.
Did you know? PlayStation acquired Firewalk Studios in 2023, and director Ryan Ellis is leading the development of their first game, Concord.
- Fresh entry in the PvP multiplayer first-person shooter genre.
- The game is a sci-fi universe.
- Potential for unique and unexpected multiplayer experiences.
- Limited information is available, leading to uncertainty about gameplay features.
- Being a new IP, it lacks the established fan base of existing franchises.
The legendary Tekken saga continues with Tekken 8, the latest in the fighting game franchise. Powered by Unreal Engine 5, this game is a real update for the latest generation of game consoles. They are combining incredible graphics with exciting new features and detailed characters to create a truly immersive experience.
Tekken 8 follows on from Tekken 7, putting father against son as Jin Kazama takes on Kizuya Mishima. The new Heat System rewards aggressive gameplay, encouraging players to go on the offensive.
Furthermore, legendary characters are returning to the game, including King, Marshall Law, and Nina Williams. Several dynamic environments will keep fights interesting, with different areas and levels, as well as events such as tornadoes and fires.
Did you know? Tekken means “iron fist” in Japanese. The game developer originally created Tekken as an arcade game, and it was later developed for the original PlayStation in 1995. Since then, they have released Tekken games for PlayStation 2, 3, 4, and now 5, as well as the PlayStation Portable.
- Enhanced with Unreal Engine 5 for top-tier graphics.
- New Heat System, encouraging aggressive play.
- Dynamic environments might distract or overwhelm players during combat.
If you’d prefer to survive instead of fight, Pacific Drive could be the game you’re looking for. Expected later this year, this survival game puts you in the driver’s seat as you wind through an imagined version of the Pacific Northwest.
In the game, the rundown car acts as your lifeline as you restore and upgrade it from the abandoned garage that serves as your home base. The run-based gameplay offers creativity and freedom, with each trip away from the garage a unique experience. Stepping out of the car puts you in a vulnerable position as you gather resources and make repairs.
The car develops its own quirks and personality as you upgrade it and the garage along with it. Throughout all of this, a mystery will start to unravel. The game looks to be a good budget option for anyone not looking to spend too much, currently priced at $26.99 on Steam.
Did you know? The team behind Pacific Drive wanted the player’s relationship with their car to be the most important element. They even say that the health of the car is a better indicator of success than the character’s health.
- Unique survival gameplay centered around a car.
- Offers creative freedom with run-based mechanics.
- Focus on upgrading and personalizing the car adds depth.
- Limited appeal to players who prefer traditional combat-focused survival games.
- Car-centric gameplay may not resonate with all players.
Post-apocalyptic survival games are always a big hit, but it’s important that they offer something new. That’s what you’ll get with Forever Skies, which has been announced as one of this year’s top releases.
Set in a world that is still recovering from an ecological disaster hundreds of years later, the game tasks the player with venturing out into the hostile environment. You will have to scavenge for resources and face dangers while exploring the surface and looking for viral pathogens that will help cure a mysterious illness.
Players have the opportunity to build and control their airship and dive below the toxic dust to explore an intriguing world. With both single-player and online co-op gameplay options, you can play in whichever mode you prefer. It supports up to four online players with PS Plus.
Did you know? Forever Skies has been available on Steam Early Access since last year, giving people a chance to test out the game and helping developers root out bugs before the official release.
- Offers a fresh take on the post-apocalyptic survival genre.
- Allows players to build and control their airship.
- Supports both single-player and online co-op gameplay.
- Balancing airship mechanics with exploration may be complex.
The Casting of Frank Stone
Horror fans definitely won’t be missing out this year. The Casting of Frank Stone is a haunting story of a town plagued by the specter of Frank Stone and his violent past. The story follows a group of young friends as they find out just how much the town and its residents have been affected. The spooky setting around an Oregon steel mill is the perfect place for an epic mystery to unravel.
Players get to choose their fate, with each of their decisions affecting where the story goes. The game offers an intensely emotional and immersive experience that won’t soon be forgotten.
This game is set in the universe of Dead By Daylight, the successful multiplayer horror game from Canadian publishers Behaviour Interactive. It gives a broader look at that world with a brand new tale.
Did you know? The Casting of Frank Stone was developed by Supermassive Games, whose previous popular games have included The Quarry, Until Dawn, and The Dark Pictures Anthology games.
- Engaging horror storyline set in a haunting Oregon steel mill.
- Player choices significantly impact the story’s direction.
- Offers an emotional and immersive gaming experience.
- Expands the universe of the popular game Dead By Daylight with a new story.
- The choice-driven narrative could lead to a lack of gameplay variety.
- Set in an established universe, which might limit creative freedom.
Rise of the Ronin
Dive into action and history with Rise of the Ronin, set in 19th-century Japan. The action RPG is based in an open world and focuses on combat as it delivers plenty of action and adventure. The player is a master samurai (a Ronin) who, in 1863, sets out on their own path as the country starts to fall into turmoil.
Interestingly, you can shape your own story by making critical decisions and making your own choices while you explore an authentic world in the Bakumatsu period. You will also experience the dawn of a new era as East and West meet and clash.
The engaging combat of Rise of the Ronin is one of the top drawers of this exciting new game. Developers Nioh and NINJA GAIDEN are certainly not new to the game and have come to have a deep understanding of how to present accessible and exciting combat scenarios. Players can fight up close or use authentic period firearms to fight from afar.
Did you know? A ronin was a type of samurai in feudal Japan between the 12th and 19th centuries.
- Set in a richly detailed open world based on 19th-century Japan.
- Offers engaging combat with a mix of close-quarters and ranged fighting.
- Player choices shape the narrative, adding depth to the gameplay.
- Open-world games risk becoming overwhelming with too many elements.
- Combat-focused gameplay might overshadow other aspects like story and exploration.
Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater
With game technology and graphics having evolved so much in the last couple of decades, remakes of hit games are big. Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater is a remake of the 2004 game Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, which was originally developed for PlayStation 2. We can expect the remake to take full advantage of the advancements that have taken place in the last 20 years.
Like the original, the new game will follow FOX operative Naked Snake in 1964 as he attempts to save a Russian rocket scientist and sabotage a Soviet nuclear superweapon. At the same time, he has to clear his country from Soviet suspicion and confront The Boss, his former mentor who has now gone to the other side.
Did you know? Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater is the first game in the series since 2018. Publishers Konami decided to focus on mobile gaming and arcades in 2015 but decided to return with a remake of the Metal Gear Solid origin story.
- Remake of a classic game with modern technology and graphics.
- Retains the engaging storyline of the original.
- Enhanced gameplay with current-generation advancements.
- Revives the popular Metal Gear Solid series after a hiatus.
- High expectations from fans of the original game.
- Potential comparisons with more recent stealth and action games.
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
The world of Granblue Fantasy will soon be available in a fully 3D-action RPG. The beautiful world first came to PlayStation with the fighting game Granblue Fantasy: Versus and will now offer an immersive experience through Granblue Fantasy: Relink.
The game features a diverse group of seafarers who join forces to find Estalucia, a legendary island, and explore the skies.
Combat-based gameplay features unique weapons, skills, and combat styles for every player. With assist modes, players of all skill levels and abilities can enjoy this fantasy world.
There’s even a Full Assist option that allows you to watch battles play out while you take in what’s happening around you. With rich lore, the game is engaging and immersive, with much to explore and learn. PS Plus supports up to four players for optional online gameplay.
Did you know? Granblue Fantasy began as a mobile game that was first released in 2014. In just two years, people in Japan downloaded the game more than 10 million times. It spawned an anime in 2017 and the first game for PlayStation in 2020.
- Transforms the Granblue Fantasy world into a fully 3D action RPG.
- Offers combat with various weapons, skills, and styles.
- Includes assist modes, making it accessible to players of different skill levels.
- Transitioning from mobile to a full 3D RPG might not meet all fan expectations.
- Relies on the success of its mobile and anime background to attract players.
Discover endless fun in pastel colors with Foamstars, the 4v4 foam-party shooter. A mysterious foam builds up around players in a party-like atmosphere. And they must manipulate it and use it to travel to make the most of the space.
Foamstars will offer three game modes: Smash the Star, Happy Bath Survival, and Rubber Duck Party. In the first, the player wins by taking down their opponent’s Star Player, while the second splits teams to place half in the arena and half outside.
In the Rubber Duck Party, players race to get to the center of the arena and dance on the rubber duck to ride it to the finish line.
Players can also enjoy playing in Mission Mode, either alone or with friends. Solo missions offer a great way to get to grips with all of the characters, while Squad Mission is all about cooperating with up to three friends.
Did you know? After its release, Foamstars will receive seasonal updates during its first year. Players will benefit from exclusive content and skins, as well as additional characters, maps, and modes.
- 4v4 foam-party shooter concept with a fun atmosphere.
- Three distinct game modes for varied gameplay experiences.
- Includes both solo and squad mission options for different play styles.
- Promises seasonal updates with new content, keeping the game fresh.
- Might require regular updates to maintain player interest over time.
- The effectiveness of the party-like atmosphere in retaining players is yet to be tested.
Silent Hill 2
Horror enthusiasts will also be anticipating Silent Hill 2 this year, which is yet another classic older game that’s coming to the PS5. The publishers first released this psychological survival horror over 20 years ago in 2001. Now, they are remaking it to fully utilize the latest video game hardware, giving it new life.
In Silent Hill 2, the player is James Sunderland who has come to the mysterious town of Silent Hill to find out how and why he has received a letter from his late wife. For those who prefer to play alone and really immerse themselves in a story, Silent Hill 2 is the perfect choice.
The first major installment in the series since 2012, the remake will feature an “over-the-shoulder” third-person perspective. The player will come up against monsters, mysteries, and the Pyramid Head, as well as a cast of characters who are all dealing with their own demons.
Did you know? The original Silent Hill 2 is often rated as one of the best games ever made, not just in the horror genre but in general. IGN placed it at number 59 in their list of the top 100 games of all time.
- Revives a classic psychological horror game for modern consoles.
- Enhanced graphics and gameplay with the latest technology.
- Maintains the deep, immersive storyline for solo play.
- High expectations due to the original’s acclaim.
- Updates and changes might not resonate with purists of the original game.
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth
The upcoming roleplaying game Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is the ninth in the main Like a Dragon series. Ichiban Kasuga and Kazuma Kiryu, both characters from previous games in the franchise, team up to find Kasuga’s mother in Hawaii.
Meanwhile, Kiryu is dealing with cancer. Set in both Japan and Hawaii, the game uses a turn-based combat concept for all characters. On top of this, mini-games from previous games also feature, including karaoke, darts, mahjong, and arcade games. New mini-games have been added too.
The new release is set to become available worldwide at the end of January. Set in 2023, it follows the two former yakuza members on an important adventure. There are multiple playable characters, from the two main protagonists to a taxi driver and a maid.
Did you know? The English dub of the game will feature the voices of Danny Trejo and Daniel Dae Kim, who are both well-known for their roles in TV and film.
- Unique blend of turn-based combat and a wide array of mini-games.
- Rich storyline set in diverse locations like Japan and Hawaii.
- Features multiple playable characters, adding variety to gameplay.
- The turn-based combat system might not appeal to all RPG fans.
- High expectations from fans for this ninth installment in the series.
The Plucky Squire
Follow Jot and his friends as they leave their storybook and discover a whole new world outside of its pages. The Plucky Squire is full of charm in this action adventure that features everything from solving puzzles to whizzing around with a jetpack. Jot must save his friends from the baddie of the story, Humgrump, and make sure the book gets its happy ending.
This super cute game by indie developer All Possible Futures jumps between 2D and 3D worlds. The mini-challenges and games are sure to provide hours of fun for players across a range of ages. The game looks to be fun, engaging, and relaxing all at once.
Did you know? The founders of All Possible Futures have previously worked on multiple other games, including HarmoKnight, Pokemon games, and The Swords of Ditto.
- Innovative gameplay that shifts between 2D and 3D worlds.
- Wide range of activities including puzzles and jetpack adventures.
- Appeals to a broad audience with its charming and whimsical design.
- As an indie game, it might have limited marketing reach compared to larger titles.
- Balancing the transition between 2D and 3D gameplay can be complex.
What Are You Looking Forward To?
2024 is shaping up to be an exciting year for PS5 gamers. We’ve seen a wide variety of games. From the action-packed “Rise of the Ronin” to the intriguing storyline of “Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth,” there’s a lot to look forward to.
What catches my attention most is “The Plucky Squire.” Its mix of 2D and 3D worlds sounds really creative. It’s not just another game; it’s a fresh concept. This kind of innovation is what keeps the gaming world exciting.
Then there’s the remake of “Silent Hill 2.” It’s a classic, and I’m curious to see how the new version will compare to the original. Remakes have this charm of bringing back memories while offering something new.
Overall, each game on the list has something special. It’s hard to pick just one favorite. What about you? Which game are you most excited about and why? Let us know!